COLOUR TESTCARD GENERATOR
- I looked at the Test Card
Generator originally designed by Colin Edwards and published in the
R&EW back in 1983 and I thought could I fit all the logic into a
Lattice MACH4 chip such that it would be easy to build
and use a more modern RGB to PAL encoder.
- This I have Re-designed afresh and
have managed to fit it all in the MACH4 64/32 and added a
16 page counter as well for the four higher addresses of
the 28 pin EPROM...
- I also got rid of the timing errors so that it
now meets the CCIR standard
- It is now Interlaced unlike other current
- In addition we can now do 8 foreground and 8
background bitmaps anywhere on the picture.
- And up to 2 to 16 frame pages of animation.
- The RGB/PAL chip is surface mount
and just 16 pins....
- This chip gives out Luminance, Chrominance and
Composite PAL all 75 ohms at 1V (P~P).
- If the wires are added from the 10
way JTAG socket to the MACH then I can program the MACH4
using ISP (in-System Programmable).
- ISP Devices represent the new
standard in programmable device technology.
- With ISP devices, hardware is as
flexible and easy to modify as software and design
upgrades are simple.
- Special Visual Basic PC based program to
program the 16 eprom pages and import old files for conversion.
- 64x20 Character Field (52x18
- 128 Characters (Black/White).
- 8x16 Character Bitmap.
- 8 Foreground Colours.
- 1 Black Background Colour.
- Syncs with resolution of 1000ns.
- Field Reset with resolution of
- Page Selector.
- Characters are either a solid Colour or a black and white bitmap.
- One Special Control Character (Solid
Black) Required for Block/Bitmap Interchange.
- EPROM Memory Map.
- 0-1279 1280 Character Pointer
Array and Control Select.
- 1280-2047 768 Unused.
- 2048-4095 2048 Character Bitmaps
or Control Data.
- Supply Current about 350m/A @ 12
Volts (~4.2 Watts)
- Add on RGB to PAL chip with
External Delay Line
Designed in Sept 2001
Field (52x18 Visible, Can be 52x19)
128 Characters (7
reserved for Syncs & Reset)
resolution of 125ns
Field Reset with
resolution of 125ns
or even selectable) and Interlaced
RESET and INCREMENT (active to ground)
DATA and GATE (inverted)
Each of the 128
Characters have 2 sets of Foreground and
Characters required in picture
Modern RGB to PAL
IC (no external delay lines required)
It is Possible to
do a small amount of Animation using several pages up to
Current only 85m/A (so it is GREEN...HI)
Needs only 8 to 14
Volts Supply DC.( ~1 Watt)
The MACH4 is
protected from being copied....!
Also The Eprom....
Can Import old
style EPROM data (HEX) and convert it to the New Standard
Auto Increment on
ANIMATION done at Eprom built time
Small enough to
fit in most TX's its only 2.5" x 2.5"
No links either !
Easy PC based page
program to build, fill, import and export
PAL output 75ohms
(was B/W back in 1983).
video is possible
With slight mods
at build time can do NTSC but it would require new
does not suffer from timing delays
Final Version 2.5"X
Below is the Fully Interlaced Picture result.
Now only 2.5"
85m/A and runs
So its GREEN